top of page
Search
  • Pete

Side projects

Whilst spending most of my time working on the uke project I've also had a couple of other small side projects on the go.


Firstly a returning client (my Dad!) wanted a foot stool made to hold a blutooth page turning pedal to use whilst playing the organ. A specific set of dimensions were provided for it to fit, but he wasn't concerned about the timber/style just use some scrap.

It's hard to justify using scrap plywood when I have a tonne of hardwood sat there, so instead I took a quick trip up to the lockup and pulled out some really grubby looking boards, either side of number 63 here.

A bit of time and effort cleaning these up on the planer and thickness sander, some jointing of the top board, carving the recess for the foot pedal, a bit of stain and some varnish and voila. A custom foot pedal stool



Slide projects

A returning client (my Dad again!) wanted some replacement drawer slides made to replace some broken plastic ones on a set of drawers. A couple of offcuts of oak batten, some cutting sanding and polishing later and voila. Another happy customer.


Stop hammer time

Final side project for the moment. I had a message from someone via eBay asking if I had any oak and mahogany. Now, with over 60 oak or mahogany items on ebay at the time its pretty clear that I do. However, after some more investigation, it turns out he was after some smaller offcuts to build a mallet. So I did a quick Google and Pinterest search to check out sizes and designs, and put together a package of offcuts I thought would be suitable. Maybe I asked too much for them, but it turns out he found some locally so didn't need mine. Since I'd been inspired and had the material there I thought I'd knock up a couple of mallets for myself.

I made a mini one and a mid size one as starters and will build another bigger one to complete the set. I'm imagining these two for small chisel carving and general assembly tasks, with a bigger, heavier one for bigger tasks.

There are a variety of designs and methods of building out there. Rather than totally traditional, I wanted something a bit more stylish, so designed a flying style head with a contoured knife style handle (too long spent watching Forged in Fire). I glued together a couple of oak offcuts to be the main body, with mahogany face caps on either side. The smaller one also has a couple of other hardwood laminates in the sandwich (I have no idea what it is, it's very yellow/orange and I've used it for various signs and other projects). The handle was then fitted through the middle. To help with glueing it all together and to add a mechanical fixture to the glue joints I added several dowels, both between the faces and between the handle and core. This was all done on the fly, so there are things I would do differently next time but not bad for a quick build.

Also, before anyone calls me out on dodgy technique (I'm sure there's plenty of other things to call out too), the picture below is before I spread the glue. I always spread the glue with a spreader first to ensure full surface coverage, I do not like the "squirt it on and hope it squeezes out all round" method.


Once glued up, I ran them over the router table to chamfer the edges all around, gave them a quick sand then added a Danish Oil finish.

Once the oil had cured for a couple of days I polished them on the cotton wheel and now they are done.





That's all for now, future updates will hopefully be more regular and less wordy!




28 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Kommentare


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page